Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Must Be a Nut, by Douglas Matthews, c. early 1960's

This poem was composed on one hungry evening sometime in the early 1960's. Maybe Dad can comment and tell us a bit more about it. It is written on the front of an unaddressed greeting card envelope. This is my father's hand. He has always used an engineer's All Caps script as long as I can remember. This did not follow Grandma's Spencerian training.

The text reads [Untitled]:

I must be a nut;
I know I'm a nut!
Whenever I drop by
to visit this hut
the people who live
here have already cut.
I think that I am
in some kind of rut.
However, the macaroni
and green beans were
good.


Doug


I hope you'll take a moment to join us. Share a recipe and a memory about it. It would be especially nice if you have a document or image, to scan it and make it part of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment